IMPORTANT NOTES REGARDING THE MERCEDES-BENZ DEALER CHAMPIONSHIPS TENNIS PROGRAM
- The Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships (MBDC) tennis program is a two-tier competition, which includes an exclusive Sectional Tournament. MBUSA maintains complete flexibility toward dealer tennis event formats, but it must remain as an amateur tennis program – no professional tennis players are eligible to advance to the next level of competition. The MBDC Program’s definition of an amateur tennis player is if the player does not receive and has not received, directly or indirectly, pecuniary advantage by the playing, teaching, demonstrating, or pursuit of the game. (The USTA Handbook of Tennis Rules and Regulations, XVII.A.1). Acts that will result in an amateur losing their eligibility, specifically relating to the MBDC Program:
- Being ranked, or previously ranked, by the ATP or WTA (includes Senior Tour players)
- 50% or more of your personal income is a result of tennis related activities (teaching, instructing, or any action MBUSA considers a tennis activity)
- Currently participating in intercollegiate tennis, or currently enrolled in a recognized college or university and at one point been a member of the tennis program
MBUSA reserves the right to alter current policies surrounding the Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships Tennis Program and is allowed to deem any participate ineligible under any circumstances.
- Any employee of Mercedes-Benz dealership, MBUSA, MBUSA-affiliate company, dealership auto group, charity board member, charity employee, charity volunteer or charity staff member; program partner or program sponsor, employees of a tournament title or host sponsor, host club or agency employee; tournament volunteers; USTA/USGA employees or affiliates or any individual appointed to work the tournament by any of these parties, is not eligible to compete or win tournament competition prizes (i.e., these individuals cannot advance to a Sectional Tournament or National Final, receive the purchase incentive and test drive item, or US Open VIP Trip and/or win program designated contest prizes).
- All local tennis tournaments must comply with charity ties. For all local tennis tournaments, a minimum of $50 per player must be donated to the pre-approved charity.
- All post–event documents must be sent in its entirety to the local tournaments Agency Event Representative (AER) within two (2) weeks of completion of the tournament. If these documents are not sent within the two (2) week deadline, MBUSA reserves the right to deny the dealership the chance to send a team to the Sectional Tournament. This includes the results sheet, which must be approved and signed by both the club professional and dealership representative. A signed results sheet turned in to the Agency Event Representative is a final results sheet. MBUSA is not responsible for any discrepancies that may have occurred in filling out the aforementioned results sheet at the local level.
- Under no circumstance can Sectional playing spots be awarded via monetary based auction/drawing/raffle.
- If all players listed on the official local tournament results sheet cannot attend the Sectional Tournament, MBUSA reserves the right to (A)permit the dealership to send a non-competing team at their own cost, (B)create a combination team with another dealership if the opportunity presents itself, or (C)deny the dealership the opportunity to send a team or fill the reserved sectional attendee spots.
- The No-Repeat Winner policy will remain in effect for the 2016 MBDC Program. If a player competed in a 2015 Sectional Tournament at Pinehurst Resort, this player is ineligible to compete in a 2016 Sectional Tournament. Should an ineligible player win or qualify through a local tournament, the next runner-up player from that local tournament will be invited to attend the Sectional Tournament in the former’s place.
- Once a dealership has paid the $4,500 program fee to host a tennis tournament, a $1,500 discount will be offered for each additional tournament package purchased. No additional discounts will be offered.
- If a tournament is cancelled after a package has been purchased, no refunds will be offered. Dealerships will have the option to roll the tournament package fee over to the next year as a credit. If a dealership opts to roll the program fee to the following year, the dealer has the option to keep the participant gifts or return them to the Program Management Center. If the dealer opts to keep the gifts, they will incur additional fees for gifts the following year. If a dealership opts not to roll the package over to the next year, they will have the option to keep trophies and tee gifts. Additionally, if the tournament is cancelled, the dealership will not be allowed to send a dealer representative or a non-competing player to a sectional tournament.
- The tennis Sectional Tournament winner package includes the following accommodations (one standard guest room), event functions, hospitality and tennis (three (3) day point based competition) as specified on the MBDC Program Website, for the winner only.
Each team member is permitted to bring one (1) adult guest, 21 years and older (airfare on own). Winner’s guest will be included in designated hospitality and tournament functions. No additional guests are permitted.
MBUSA will issue a round-trip coach air ticket (to/from same city) for each team member, and ground transfers to/from select airport/host resort (on official arrival/departure days only). Air travel for team members must be booked through MBUSA’s travel agency. Should winners wish to make any changes to their travel itineraries, they will be doing so on their own, directly with the airline and applicable fees are the winner’s responsibility. Similarly, if a dealer, or any other individual or company, wishes to pay for upgraded winner airfare, book the winner guest airfare (which is the winner’s responsibility), etc. those arrangements will be made by the dealer (or individual) directly with the airline. MBUSA travel agents are not responsible for making such arrangements and/or changes. Under no circumstances will any airfare booked by an outside company or individual be reimbursed by MBUSA. There are no exceptions. Additionally, no mileage reimbursement will be given to any winner under any circumstances. If the participant ‘s primary home address is within 250 miles of the host venue, MBUSA is not responsible for ANY transportation expenses or reimbursements.
Please note, dealer teams may elect to arrive prior to October 16, but late departures (after October 20) cannot be accommodated. If Sectional winners wish to extend their stay, upgrade their room, secure adjoining rooms or make any change regarding accommodations, they will be doing so at their own expense directly with the Program Management Center (PMC). Changes of this nature are available on a first-come, first-served basis depending on the resort’s availability. MBUSA is not responsible for such changes.
- At the Mercedes-Benz Sectional Tournament dealer tennis teams will play in a three-day competition – consisting of individual and team skills in which each player will earn points based on performance. The first day of competition – players will compete in skills and doubles matches and will compile points for their dealer team. The third day of competition – players will compete in doubles matches to compile points for their dealer team. The team score from each competition day will be added together for the overall combined two-day dealer team score. The top team from the sectional will be invited to attend the US Open VIP Trip, September 2017 (dates subject to change). The US Open VIP Trip is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- The two-person winning team from the Sectional will receive a 4 day/3 night VIP Trip to the 2017 US Open in NY (US Open VIP Trip). The trip includes round-trip coach air travel (to/from same city), room accommodations, ground transfers to/from a NY area airport/US Open (on official arrival/departure days only), as well as access to various matches and an exclusive “Behind the Scenes tour” of the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Incidental expenses shall be the responsibility of the individual
Winners are permitted to bring one (1) adult guest (21 years or older) to the US Open VIP Trip (airfare on own). Winner’s guest will be included in hospitality and tournament functions.
Air travel for team members must be booked through MBUSA’s travel agency. Should winners wish to make any changes to their travel itineraries, they will be doing so on their own, directly with the airline and applicable fees are the winner’s responsibility. Similarly, if a dealer, or any other individual or company, wishes to pay for upgraded attendee airfare, book the winner guest airfare (which is the winner’s responsibility), etc. those arrangements will be made by the dealer (or individual) directly with the airline. MBUSA travel agents are not responsible for making such arrangements and/or changes. Under no circumstances will any airfare booked by an outside company or individual be reimbursed by MBUSA. There are no exceptions. Additionally, no mileage reimbursement will be given to any winner under any circumstances. If the participant ‘s primary home address is within 250 miles of the host venue, MBUSA is not responsible for ANY transportation expenses or reimbursements.
Winners and winner guests will not be able to arrive early or extend their stay. There are no exceptions to this policy. US Open VIP Trip and National Final attendance dates and details will be provided to winning Sectional teams as soon as they are available.
- As this is an adults-only program (21 years or older), no person under the age of 21 as of (insert start date of first program of 2016 here) is permitted to accompany winners to any Sectional or US Open VIP Trip event under any circumstances. This includes but is not limited to infants and children. There are no exceptions.
- With specific regard to Sectional competition, MBUSA reserves the right to review any scoring irregularities—and to disqualify any individual(s) from competing and/or advancing whom it deems to have acted improperly, inequitably, or unfairly. In such instance, the disqualified individual(s) shall be barred indefinitely from participating in this program.
- For those tennis participants concerned about acceptance of expenses and how it may affect amateur status, we suggest such players research this issue further with their local tennis association.
- For Local qualifiers who cannot attend the Sectional, the next runner-up, as indicated on the approved Tennis Results Sheet, will be designated to fill the vacated spot. For Sectional qualifiers, if one player on the winning team cannot attend the US Open, the vacated spot will not be filled. If both players of the winning team cannot attend the US Open VIP Trip, the second place sectional team will be invited to attend. No player substitutions will be permitted, for any reason within two (2) weeks of a Sectional or US Open VIP trip.
With specific regard to the US Open VIP Trip, in the event that one member of the winning sectional team has previously attended the US Open VIP Trip, this member will not be eligible to attend the US Open VIP Trip as it is an once-in-a-lifetime experience. The other member of the team that has not attended the US Open VIP Trip will be eligible to attend. The vacant spot will not be filled. In the event that both members of the winning sectional team have previously attended the US Open VIP Trip, both members will be ineligible to attend. In this case, the second place team will be invited to attend the US Open VIP Trip.
Additionally, any players that have attended a US Open VIP Trip as an accompanying guest are ineligible to attend the US Open VIP Trip. This rule, and its intent, is that no player or guest may receive the US Open VIP Trip if he or she has ever previously attended the trip (i.e., one US Open VIP Trip per person per lifetime).
- No player airfare will be booked within two (2) weeks of a Sectional Tournament, National Final or US Open VIP Trip.
- Players are not permitted to bring personal caddies to either a Sectional Tournament or National Final. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- MBUSA reserves the right to reassign select dealer teams to either Sectional event, depending upon overall regional enrollment.
- Participation in all or part of any Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships event shall constitute consent for photographs of participant to be used in a professional internal marketing effort for MBUSA and the Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships program. Further, participant fully and unconditionally releases all claims for consideration, copyright infringement and all other claims of any nature relating to the use of participant’s entry, name or likeness.
- Additional program rules and restrictions may apply. Please contact your host Mercedes-Benz dealer for further details. Under no circumstances will there be any exceptions to the program rules and restrictions listed herein, as well as those contained on the Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships Program Website, Program documents, and 2016 Program Summary which are provided to the host dealer in advance of the local qualifying tournament.
- MBUSA reserves the right to alter current policies surrounding the Mercedes-Benz Dealer Championships —including, but not limited to, dealership participation, charity requirements, dealer tournament/event components; Sectional/US Open VIP Trip, tournament format, player/dealer representative restrictions, hospitality and golf and tennis availability for all guests, etc.
Refund Policy –
In the event of inclement weather:
We are committed to the safety of our players. If inclement weather occurs on June 25, 2016, we reserve the right to change the tournament format to fit the conditions and/or re-schedule the tournament to July 9, 2016
We are unable to issue refunds for any reason. – Happily the money is going to the Dyslexia Center of Utah for scholarships to children in financial need which in turn can help keep kids in school and possibly out of prison. So its money well spent.